The Nebraska Energy Quarterly features questions asked about 5% Dollar and Energy Saving Loans. Loan forms may be obtained from participating lenders or the Energy Office.


Questions and Answers...

5% Dollar and Energy Saving Loans

A borrower is considering improvements that include replacement of doors and windows, siding and roof repair.  Which forms need to be completed and submitted with the loan application?

Siding or roof repair can only be done in conjunction with adding wall insulation or attic or ceiling insulation, respectively.  The application form - Door, Window, Wall and Ceiling Projects, Form 2 - must be completed and submitted by the borrower for all the projects listed on that form, including wall, attic and ceiling insulation and insulated doors, glass doors and thermal windows.  In addition to Form 2, the borrower and contractor must complete and submit Form 2 Siding, if the frame wall insulation project includes siding; Form 2 Roofing, if the attic or ceiling insulation project includes roof repair or replacement; and Form 2, Window/Door if the project is for the replacement of thermal windows or exterior glass or insulated doors.  If the insulation project does not include siding or roofing, or if it is for storm windows or doors, the applicant only needs to complete and submit Form 2 and supplemental forms are not needed.  

I know some Nebraskans have not heard of Dollar and Energy Saving Loans.  How are they publicized and how can one access information and application forms?

Loans are typically promoted by lenders, businesses and utility companies that keep information on hand for their customers.  Some entities also mail out loan statement stuffers, provided to them by the Energy Office, to their customers. The Energy Office also fulfills information requests and keeps lenders informed of new developments and supplied with loan materials.  Information on the loans, including updated forms, is available on the Energy Office's web site.

Which lenders offer Dollar and Energy Saving Loans?

A participating lender must be a Nebraska bank, savings institution, or credit union.  A majority of the lenders in the state offer these loans.  The Energy Office encourages anyone interested in one of the loans to talk to a local bank, savings institution, or credit union in their community to find out if that lender offers Dollar and Energy Saving Loans.  If the lender does not offer the loans, the Energy Office can provide information on lenders in your area can help you.  You can also find lenders in your area by visiting the Energy Office's web site.  The loan section of the web site now has a search engine that can find lenders in your area for you.  

Return to the Fall 1999 Newsletter