The Nebraska Energy Quarterly features questions asked about 6% Dollar and Energy Saving Loans. Loan forms may be obtained from participating lenders or the Energy Office.

Questions and Answers...

6% Dollar and Energy Saving Loans

Why is there a special form (Form 2 Roofing) for insulation added to the attic?

Form 2 Roofing is only used when a ceiling or attic insulation project requires repair or replacement of a leaking roof. Typically, adding insulation to an attic or roof does not include roof repairs. However, it the roof leaks, the new insulation must be protected from water damage. Form 2 Roofing asks how that will be accomplished.

If the insulation project does not involve roof repairs, then use standard Form 2 and describe the project on line 13.

Why is insurance information required on Form 2 Roofing?

If the leaks in the roof were caused by an insured casualty, such as a hail or windstorm, and the borrower is collecting damages, then the amount of the insurance payment must be deducted from the loan amount. Loan funds can only be used to pay the borrower's actual, out-of-pocket expenses.

"Whole Unit R-values" for replacement windows or glass doors must now be listed on Form 2, Line 7. What are these values and why are they important?

From the beginning, any double-paned window could be financed with a Dollar and Energy Saving Loan. Many of the replacement windows were not significantly more energy-efficient than the windows being replaced, which undermined the purpose of the loans.

Starting January 1, 1997, replacement windows must meet a minimum performance criterion just like insulation and heating and cooling equipment. Since windows are assembled of several different components (glass, sash, and frame) the insulating ability of the entire unit, called the "R-value," is now the measurement standard for the loans. Some manufacturers only list the center-of-the-glass R-value. For the borrower to receive a loan, the "whole unit R-value" must be at least 2.5.

Windows that have a 2.5 R-value or higher represent the top 25 percent of all windows manufactured. The National
Fenestration Rating Council or NFRC has established test and certification programs to prove the R-value of windows. The easiest way to demonstrate that a particular window meets the minimum loan standard is to include a Council test report or its equivalent along with the application and bid.

I'm replacing a door. Form 2, Line 14 lists minimum R-values for doors and door systems. Do doors have R-values, too?

Yes, the National Fenestration Rating Council also tests and certifies doors for R-values. Some pre-hung doors are sold as a system which includes the door, frame and lites glass areas above, beside or within the door. To be financed with a loan, door systems must have an R-value for the entire assembly of at least 4.0. If an insulated slab door is sold separately, it will not have a Council rating, so the door must have an R-value of 8.0 to be financed with a loan.

Glass doors, such as sliding doors or patio doors, must meet the whole-unit R-value of at least 2.5 on line 7, Form 2.